10.05.2008

hats hats everywhere!

Wow, it's been a while since my last post!

Okay, last Sunday I took a break from working and went on a field trip.  First stop was The Yarn Tree, to pick up a prize I won in their raffle.  I won... a pound of coffee.  Which might get regifted, since I don't drink coffee.  Not to waste a trip there, I found their 25% off sale on Koigu sock yarns and picked up enough Teal and Lavender for 2 pairs of socks.  The yarn is basically monochromatic with different color values (light and dark), which is my latest love in yarns.  I might actually finish a pair of socks with them! LOL yeah right :)

After TYT I went to a new-to-me LYS, Brooklyn General Store.  It's literally 3 blocks away from my HS best friend's house, and her mom is a knitter, yet somehow I never heard of it in all my times visiting them.  It's definitely worth a return trip, their prices are better than the LYS near me and they have my new-favorite yarn - Cascade 220.  Yes it's a very "basic" yarn, but its in my price range and soft and wonderful and I love it. Plus it comes in a  bazillion colors, and Brooklyn General carries a lot of them.  I also snagged 4 skeins of Noro Kureyon in a great colorway.  1 skein has already been turned into a hat.

Speaking of hats, I am making them for "everyone" for Chanukah this year.  Everyone being immediate family, Grandparents, aunts, uncles, first cousins, one first cousin once removed, and 3 or 5 friends.  That's 5+2+4+3+12+1+4 31 hats, approximately.  And now that I think of it, I have a couple of second cousins who could use a handmade hat.  But I'll stick to the 31 I've already committed to, I suppose.

So far I've finished 1 Stirling Cloche, 3 Calorimetry,1 Robin's Egg Blue, 1 Divine Hat, and 1 Just Like a Peasant Hat, for 7 FOs total.  The thing is, I need 13 male-friendly hats and I've completed 0.  Also 2 years ago when all the cousins and aunts and grandmas got scarves - the guys got zilch, so I really can't stiff them again.  But dudes hats are so boring - no fun colors, no funky patterns or interesting designs.  They might all just get ribbed watchcaps, and where's the fun in that?

I need to make a list of who is getting which hat, because it's getting harder to keep them all straight in my head.  Therefore:
More will be added to this list (I hope!!) as I complete the hats.  Still hatless:
AG, The Second, Uncle B, Uncle D, Uncle R, Grandma, Grandpa, Avi, Mia, Rocky, Big Rocky, CH, Eytan, my parents, D, Older Brother, Jay, G, Dan, and Lizzie.

Oh and I still need  to seam up that afghan (yes I decided I was sewing it up) and line a bag for someone (I HATE sewing!).  Better get cracking...

No comments: