Okay, last Sunday I took a break from working and went on a field trip. First stop was The Yarn Tree, to pick up a prize I won in their raffle. I won... a pound of coffee. Which might get regifted, since I don't drink coffee. Not to waste a trip there, I found their 25% off sale on Koigu sock yarns and picked up enough Teal and Lavender for 2 pairs of socks. The yarn is basically monochromatic with different color values (light and dark), which is my latest love in yarns. I might actually finish a pair of socks with them! LOL yeah right :)
After TYT I went to a new-to-me LYS, Brooklyn General Store. It's literally 3 blocks away from my HS best friend's house, and her mom is a knitter, yet somehow I never heard of it in all my times visiting them. It's definitely worth a return trip, their prices are better than the LYS near me and they have my new-favorite yarn - Cascade 220. Yes it's a very "basic" yarn, but its in my price range and soft and wonderful and I love it. Plus it comes in a bazillion colors, and Brooklyn General carries a lot of them. I also snagged 4 skeins of Noro Kureyon in a great colorway. 1 skein has already been turned into a hat.
Speaking of hats, I am making them for "everyone" for Chanukah this year. Everyone being immediate family, Grandparents, aunts, uncles, first cousins, one first cousin once removed, and 3 or 5 friends. That's
So far I've finished 1 Stirling Cloche, 3 Calorimetry,1 Robin's Egg Blue, 1 Divine Hat, and 1 Just Like a Peasant Hat, for 7 FOs total. The thing is, I need 13 male-friendly hats and I've completed 0. Also 2 years ago when all the cousins and aunts and grandmas got scarves - the guys got zilch, so I really can't stiff them again. But dudes hats are so boring - no fun colors, no funky patterns or interesting designs. They might all just get ribbed watchcaps, and where's the fun in that?
I need to make a list of who is getting which hat, because it's getting harder to keep them all straight in my head. Therefore:
- Lisa is getting a Grey Calorimetry
- Jackie asked for a Divine Hat, so she's getting a turqoise one to match her scarf.
- Rif is getting the Magenta Robin's Egg Blue
- The Third is getting the Like a Peasant's Cap - and if you know an Orthodox woman who covers her hair, this is THE CUTEST HAT ever so make her one!
- C might be getting a Stirling Cloche. Or a Green Calorimetry. Possibly both if I get through 24 more hats in time.
- AE is tough because she wears a Sheitel, but I figure a Calorimetry won't muss it too badly and will cover her ears in the winter.
- I is getting a Divine Hat in purple.
AG, The Second, Uncle B, Uncle D, Uncle R, Grandma, Grandpa, Avi, Mia, Rocky, Big Rocky, CH, Eytan, my parents, D, Older Brother, Jay, G, Dan, and Lizzie.
Oh and I still need to seam up that afghan (yes I decided I was sewing it up) and line a bag for someone (I HATE sewing!). Better get cracking...